Friday, March 17, 2017

So this is 22...

Graduation is nigh.  At 22 years old (Happy Birthday to me 2 days ago) and in my fourth year of university, I just used the word “nigh” for the first time in print. I had to look up how to spell it. That pretty much sums up everything about 22 so far.

On March 16th, I came home from work, stripped down to my t-shirt and undies and made organic whole wheat spaghetti with kale in the messy kitchenette of my tiny apartment. It felt oddly similar to March 16/16, except for this new sensation of standing on the edge of a cliff, the crowd behind me (my loving supporters) yelling “jump, jump!” I look down, still in my underwear, and think, “Like this? Shouldn’t I have some kind of harness or… pants?”

After watching 500 Days of Summer while devouring two bowls of spaghetti, I sat on my couch in the dark. There were dirty dishes, homework, laundry, and absolutely no motivation at about 7:00 or so.  I checked the cupboard. No coffee. I brewed some tea, put on She & Him (a recent Zooey obsession, I guess) and diffused lavender and peppermint oil. Finally, the homework began.

Meanwhile, my accidental best friend is still in Austria for an academy week in his internship. A Facebook message came in at 2:00 this morning wishing “Jadarrr” a Happy Birthday. Of course I woke up. I wanted to ask if he realized that the time change was 6 hours, not 2 days, but honestly I was just glad to hear from him.

There truly is no structure to 22 right now. All the elements I need are too much to hold at one time, so it’s like I’ve tossed them all in a blender. Work, homework, church. Toss ‘em. Oh, member of the opposite sex? Toss it. Two more?  No problem. New girl friends (from foreign countries)? Why not? 

Graduation; this position I’m clawing to get out of; the possibility of writing as a career. All terrifying elements to add.

Thank the Lord for coffee, Chet Atkins, essential oils, and my bed.

One of today's work jams from my favorite female singer. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, here we go... 

Where Is My Castle - Connie Smith

1 comment: